Friday, April 7, 2017

April 2017 Update:




“This generation listens with its eyes & thinks with its feelings.” -Ravi Zacharias  

Inline image 1

“Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” -Jesus


  Aloha kakou!  These past few months I have been on a journey of diving deep into the treasures that has been set for me from those who have gone before me.  What a great inheritance and responsibility we have to stewart the very thoughts of an eternal loving God and manifest it in time and space.  My hopes and prayers for you this month is for all fears, insecurities, and shame to be cast off you so that you will be able to walk into the authority, calling, and presence of God boldly with all wisdom into the places you have never dared to imagine you would go, internally and externally.  
  He’s calling you to follow Him but it will require leaving all your false comforts, natural understandings, and religious ways behind.      

 Here are some updates on what has been going on here on the island of Maui with my ministry here at New Hope Maui Church @UHMC:  


University of Hawaii Maui College:

*Student Activities Council: This has been my first term on the council and has been a great experience learning how to budget, delegate funds, and create spaces and resources for our 14 clubs on campus.  I am privileged to work with 7 other council members on campus to create and facilitate a healthy student life on campus.  Being able to collaborate with the Maui community and small business has been a highlight because of the personal connections I have been making with incredible leaders in our administration and community.  I love to meet with our members individually and pray together.  To me this has been a great witness to myself seeing how many other “secret change agents” are within our community here on the island by simply stepping out in boldness and taking the lead.   

*Christian Club 127:  Representing your faith on a college campus really puts to test on whom or what you really have your faith in.  I have come to see that more people have faith in their own understanding, or fears, or insecurities than in the promises and principles that Jesus taught.  Learning on how to “fan the flame” of other christian brothers and sisters in Christ has been probably been more of a task for me this past year.  Regardless I am finding that it is not by “might nor by power” but by the Spirit of God that things end up flowing together for His purposes.  It is very encouraging to see the representation of people stepping out in faith 3 days a week on campus in our general public areas.  We have a fellowship gathering on Mondays, an evangelism table on Tuesdays, and facilitate student life on Wednesdays.  We are able to reach close to 50-70+ people every week sharing and living out our faith.  

*Hawaiian Language Club:  This term we started the Hawaiian language club on campus.  It has been a highlight for me this past term learning the Hawaiian language.  I am so humbled and blessed by our Kumu and fellow haumana learning together.  It has really felt more of an ohana rather than a forced learning time.  Within the Hawaiian language community I am learning on how to be even more effective in my communication skills within the people here of Hawaii nei.  The Hawaiian langue club has helped me to learn how to train fellow missionaries and community leaders on how to be more culturally aware and sensitive in their “doings”.  We host a free beginners class on Mondays and host Hawaiian speakers events through the months as well.  
  One of the things we do as a club here on campus is promote free cultural practice events and educational programs for the community members to join.  So if you are looking to learn more about the Hawaiian language you can find us on Facebook at “Hui Kamailio”.  


OTHER MINISTRY LOCATIONS: (more to come on another updates)
-Job Corps
-Hale Makana
-One Love Skate Ministry 

Summer Outreaches:
-Honduras: END OF JUNE
-North Korea (DPRK):  END OF JULY


FUNDRASING: 

  For the next few months I will be fundraising for these outreach locations that I will be attending with New Hope Maui.  I have been to both places before so we have well established activities and contacts that I am able to function with.  More updates on what I will be doing in future updates.  
  
  I will be fundraising by selling these t-shirts designed by (https://alohakeakuaclothing.com), “Aloha ke Akua” means God is love in the Hawaiian language.  The t-shirts I am selling say “IESU” translating to Jesus in english.  

So if you are wanting to support my summers mission by purchasing one of these tees or stickers please email me separate form this email for details.  Tees are $25 and come in black and olive green.  Stickers are $3 each.  Mahalo nui!!!

Inline image 2

- Features: Short Sleeve Tee, Ultra soft 50-50 Blended fabric, 
- Iesū = Jesus
- 52% combed and ring-spun cotton, 48% polyester (Machine Wash)

Inline image 3
(STICKERS FOR SALE $3 EACH)


Inline image 4
(last year in North Korea)


Inline image 5
(Mariah and I) 

Inline image 6

FUNDRASING: 

  For the next few months I will be fundraising for these outreach locations that I will be attending with New Hope Maui.  I have been to both places before so we have well established activities and contacts that I am able to function with.  More updates on what I will be doing in future updates.  
  
  I will be fundraising by selling these t-shirts designed by (https://alohakeakuaclothing.com), “Aloha ke Akua” means God is love in the Hawaiian language.  The t-shirts I am selling say “IESU” translating to Jesus in english.  

So if you are wanting to support my summers mission by purchasing one of these tees or stickers please email me separate form this email for details.  Tees are $25 and come in black and olive green.  Stickers are $3 each.  Mahalo nui!!!

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment